Hang 10 an Inconvenience for Dale Students

Paige Pratt

Christian Garcia, Staff Writer

Early in October, Dr. Jones sent this message to faculty and staff in response to  a new rule change here at Dale:  Hang 10:   For faculty and staff members who hold the standard for “Hang 10” time, thank you; this message is not intended for you. For the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes of class, students should not leave your room (unless it is an absolute emergency). This includes students who report to your room during the bell change to “check in with you,” drop off their bags or belongings, and then leave to “go to the bathroom.” If they do this and are late reporting to class, they are tardy (unauthorized area). Checking in first does not excuse them from being in class and ready to learn on time. Please include this expectation clearly in your sub plans as well. This will be the last time for the school year that this is addressed whole group.

This new policy dubbed “Hang 10” has received mixed feedback. Many students think it is pointless and an inconvenience. 

On the pointless side, if a student wants to skip a class, they’re going to skip regardless. Checking passes is going to catch some skippers, but not all, and can cause problems for people who have legitimate reasons for being in the halls, but who happen to not have a pass for whatever reason. Junior Andew Wiseman said the new rules being put into place are “stupid and do not solve anything.” Many students like myself feel the same way. 

It’s also an inconvenience as you practically have no time to go to the bathroom until lunch unless your classes are really close together, which for most students isn’t the case. This is especially true for those who have a class in the gym or outside. Under the old policy, students could just drop off their items in class and go use the restrooms, but now it’s not possible unless you want a tardy. Sure, you could go during class, but it would take time out of instruction if you go after the first ten minutes or before the last 10, and some teachers don’t even let you use the bathroom at all.  

As you can see, not only does this not solve the issue of skippers, but it increases the number of tardies and takes away students’ natural need to relieve themselves. There must be another solution to the skipping problem that has plagues Thomas Dale for  years. This “Hang Ten” rule just makes Thomas Dale feel like Thomas Jail.

What do you think?