Are There Really No More Asynchronous Wednesdays?

Montasia Smith, Features Editor

“Taking away Wednesday is a mental beating,” said Devin Drakes-Herring, a senior of Thomas Dale. “We use that day to rest our heads and catch up on work because online school is more draining and exhausting than regular school.” 

Asynchronous Wednesdays were originally set to allow a cleaning day between the two hybrid learning groups when hybrid was first an option. When the cleaning protocol was  developed, with the cleaning of the school everyday, it was soon known that the free Wednesdays were no longer needed.

It was then decided to keep the asynchronous Wednesdays that benefited so many students.

“For the students who were using Wednesdays in the way it was designed , it was  an extremely beneficial and powerful day. On the other side of that same coin, there were students who weren’t using it for what it was intended,” said Dr. Jones, Thomas Dale Principal.

The lack of some students involvement on the asynchronous day waved the decision of the school board to withdraw the asynchronous Wednesdays.

How can you take away something that benefited not only the students but the teachers as well without getting any student input or involvement?”  said A’najai Carter, Thomas Dale senior. “We should have a voice too because we are the students going through this everyday.” 

“The advantage on the adult side is that we get to do the things that we don’t have time to do during the school day…[on that Wednesday],” said Dr. Jones.

While not all students  agree with the school board’s decision, including most teachers, Dr. Jones is working to adjust. He’s acquiring feedback from students, teachers, and parents to develop a plan that gives the same benefits of the asynchronous Wednesday on a regular Wednesday. 

It’s clear that this decision has affected both groups, students and teachers, but with the determination of Dr. Jones to give his students and staff an effective  learning experience, asynchronous Wednesdays won’t be a thing of the past.