The update on sports may shock you!

Robert Lewis , Staff Reporter

As you may or may not know, most of if not all, Virginia high school sports were cut drastically and the start dates were changed. For example, usually, basketball would start in early December and end in late February and possibly longer depending on your record. As a result of the pandemic, this year basketball started in early January and ended in early February.

As for football, they endured the same circumstances. Their season was cut from 13 games, including the playoffs, to a mere 6. They would usually start in late August and end around November, but this year they started in late February and will be ending in early April.

Thomas Dale’s Varsity basketball started off on the right foot with 2 dominating wins over Prince George and Colonial Heights, winning each game by double digits including a victory over Colonial Heights by a crushing 44 points. They never let their foot off the gas, as they would go on to win every game left in their regular season.

The basketball team eventually met their match in the first round of the playoffs losing to the Landstone Eagles by a score of 55-52. It would end their season on a positive 5-1 record. Junior Varsity only played 4 games as 1 game was canceled due to a coronavirus caution. In those 4 games, they started off slow, losing 42-51 to Prince George, but soon picked up the slack and did not lose a single game after.

After months and months of waiting from the players, coaches, and fans, Thomas Dale football has finally started. Dale played their first game on February 27th against Peters-burg and won by a score of 55-22, following a promising performance from freshman quarterback Ethan Minter accounting for over 150 yards through the air and 2 total touchdowns in the first half.