Map Testing

Morgan Traylor , Staff Reporter

Map Testing is a standardized test that is one the newer side in Chesterfield county. NWEA is the provider for the test. Here’s a quote from Nwea: “MAP Growth is the most trusted and innovative assessment for measuring achievement and growth in K–12 math, reading, language usage, and science. It provides teachers with accurate, and actionable evidence to help target instruction for each student or groups of students regardless of how far above or below they are from their grade level. It also connects to the largest set of instructional content providers, giving educators flexibility in curriculum choices”. We have the Math and reading test two times a year.                                

The first two year of us doing the map test everyone tried very hard thinking that we were being a value waited. As time went on some students started to just guess and speed their way through Map’s testing.As student guesses on the map test it messes up the accuracy of the test score. Here’s what Nwea has to say: “Educators need accurate assessment data to help students learn. But when students rapid-guess or otherwise disengage on tests the validity of scores can be affected. Our research examines the causes of test disengagement, how it relates to students’ overall academic engagement, and its impacts on individual test scores. We look at its effects on aggregated metrics used for school and teacher evaluations, achievement gap studies, and more. This research also explores better ways to measure and improve engagement and to help ensure that test scores more accurately reflect what students know and can do”. It also connects to the largest set of instructional content providers, giving educators flexibility in curriculum choices”. I think the way that the test is presented to us makes it feel unimportant and a thing  you need to get through fast. The test also has no effect on your grades and there is not a score you need to get to graduate so it makes people not care. I think that we shouldn’t map tests anymore and Chesterfield country can find some other way to determine students’ growth.